I have 43 subscriptions in my “Information + Libraries” folder in GoogleReader. Over the past few weeks I have been thinking about dropping a few as I am finding that more and more the unread items are building up. I’m sure I can cut it down simply by taking out a few that are no longer being updated but that doesn’t sort out the mountain of unread items. So the actual number of subscriptions doesn’t matter it’s the frequency at which they are updated. Should I then just drop the prolific authors? Surely not if the content they’re posting is relevant and interesting. It’s clear I’m going to have to find some other way of identifying which feeds to keep.
There are two ways I could approach this
- I could create a wonderful algorithm that takes into account the frequency of posts, their relevance, how often I skip over them, link through to them, mark them as favourites or to read later.
- I could get drastic and say if I were forced at gunpoint to choose just ten, which would I keep?
You’ve guessed it, I’m going for the latter. These blogs made the list because they are consistently entertaining, informative and inspiring. Without further ado here they are:
- In the Library with the Lead Pipe – a group blog discussing issues that impact academic, public and school libraries.
- Info-mational – written by Char Booth, E-Learning Librarian at UC Berkeley.
- Information Tyrannosaur – written by Andy Burkhardt, Emerging Technologies Librarian at Champlain College.
- Joeyanne Libraryanne – written by Jo Alcock, Resources Librarian at the University of Wolverhampton and current ILS student.
- Librarian by Day – written by Bobbi Newman, transliteracy guru.
- Librarians on the Loose – written by Emma Illingworth and Sarah Ison, librarians at the University of Brighton.
- Library Bazaar – written by Fiacre O€™Duinn, a librarian in Hamilton, Ontario.
- Libreaction – written by Andy Priestner, Head Librarian at Judge Business School.
- Organising Chaos – written by Laura, aka Woodsiegirl, law librarian and current ILS student.
- Swiss Army Librarian – written by Brian Herzog, a reference librarian at Chelmsford Public Library, Chelmsford MA.